I have seen this idea several times out in blogland and fell in love with the idea instantly and I was never really happy with how I painted the dresser before Noah was born so Noah's dresser got a redo.
It really was an easy redo after we got the dresser painted. I measured the drawers and cut the maps with about an inch overlap, to wrap around the sides. I used Modge Podge to adhere the maps to the dresser fronts and the pulls were original to dresser that we had saved. So really my only expense was the paint!
I used maps of places (states and cities) that we have lived. So Noah and I have fun time finding those places on the maps.
I did the dresser redo in Noah's room, made new curtains and put a new cover on the chair. I wanted to replace the carpet with a new one and put the green rug in the nursery but Noah wasn't willing to give that up for his little brother so it is what it is. I am happy with how it has all turned out. The chair cover is temporary. To be honest with myself I don't have the slightest clue about where to start with a whole upholstery job and I don't want to pay for it.
What the dresser originally looked like - the colors were horrible. I can not pick out paint colors - I can picture it all in my head but when it comes to finding that paint chip that matches what I am envisioning I totally lose it. The pulls had jungle animals on them.
Here is the chair original color, which was actually in pretty good shape I just wasn't too into the 70's orange. Someday I will get the upholstery done the right way.